Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Thank you Avril Bell =)

Growing up I was always saddened as I stongly believed I had no culture. I use to look in awe at other cultural groups such as Indians and Pacific Islanders when my primary school had its “cultures day” in their beautiful traditional costuming and wished that I belonged to a culture that had its own tradtional costuming, food and dance and the celebrations they engaged in always looked so fun! (I always had to wear plain old shorts and tshirts). After reading Avril Bell’s ‘We’re Just New Zealanders”, I realised that I do have a culture and that since it is viewed to many as the ‘norm’ in New Zealand, it is almost unrecognisable. The way my family does things, to me, seems common sense in terms of our values, structures, aims and beliefs and while I find other cultures beautiful I do remember times when I was little thinking that some aspects of them were strange. If I were to go to a country where my culture (Pakeha) was not the dominant culture I am sure that all the characteristics I possess (and believe to be so normal) would stand out a mile. The way I dress, what I eat and how I dance would most probably seem strange to others and then I would truly understand that I do have a culture strongly embedded in me. Thank you Avril Bell =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home