Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pakeha

I found the lecture on Pakehaness very interesting. I have always used it as a definition type word for non-Maori of European decent. It was an interesting concept that some might use this word to distinguish themselves as white people that belong or come from New Zealand. To some it may seem a derogatory word but in many ways it is a creation of an identity that is unique to New Zealand. As was exemplified by the analysis of the film The Piano, Pakeha was a way for whites to make claims of indigeneity and justify the occupation of Maori land. It was also a way to articulate difference to other non-New Zealand Europeans and also Maori. This creation of Pakeha was vital for whites in New Zealand as it was borrowing “Maori-ness” to demonstrate their difference to other Europeans and also there specific place within New Zealand (Annie Goldson). By adopting Pakeha as an identity it was a claim that stated a belonging to New Zealand while also recognising Maori as the Tino Rangatira. Also it is a word which comes from a relationship with/to Maori which again reiterates a sense of belonging to the land and culture, but also clearly distinct from it.

I personally have never used “Pakeha” in a derogative sense but in all fairness I use the word selectively. My mother is a white Australian with European heritage. When asked about my mother by Maori I often say that she is a Pakeha rather than a white person/Kiwi/European/Australian. This to me is a way of distinguishing her from other white people in New Zealand and also emphasising her belonging here. However if a non-Maori asked the same question I would reply that she is an Australian. In some ways I tailor my response to the person that is asking. As I said above Pakeha is a way of illustrating difference from other Europeans and also Maori however it also shows a belonging to New Zealand. I consider my mother a Pakeha as she has lived most of her life in New Zealand, raised Maori children, lived on Maori land and learned the culture. I believe that saying she is Pakeha is a compliment rather than an insult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home