Saturday, August 13, 2011

Racial Formation on a micro (everyday) level


I am drawing on my own experience for the topic of my second blog.

I used to consider myself a non racist but not only do I now realise that this is not the case for me, no one can claim that stance sadly – there are just varying degrees of it.

The following example displays, at that time, what my own racist beliefs were and how they were couched in white supremacy and preconceived ideas of what I thought a particular racial stereotype was of the ‘other’. Interestingly enough, I think it went both ways – although I can only speculate on that and openly admit this throughout this blog. As I was proven wrong on my ignorant racial stereotypes, it further illustrates that notion of the massive emphasis on racism as ‘difference’ and how that impacts in a negative way. Much as it is hard to admit my racist beliefs in the following situation, it is nevertheless, a good example not only of racism on an everyday basis, but also inferential racism because I didn’t even realise I thought like that. The idea of being guilty until proven innocent is how racism works and in a court of law, for example, this notion is not meant to be just or fair (not that they always uphold that ideology however).

The situation was this: I (a white, middle class, single mother) was renting in Devonport and I was moving to another rental in Devonport. I found the cheapest furniture removal company (who were from South Auckland) that I could find as money was tight. When they turned up I felt a deep sense of foreboding. I felt as though my personal safety and my material goods were at risk purely because they were: all Maori, spoke ‘differently’ to me, and had imperfect teeth (as do I!!) and tattooed (as am I!!) As you can see, the double standards were rife on my part. I showed them through the house and told them what needed shifting out. Throughout this exercise there was no eye contact between us and there was definitely tension in the air. I believe this was because two cultures were meeting with their preconceived stereotypes that were quite inaccurate but deeply embedded ones - as is the case with stereotypes! I have mentioned what mine were about them and I’m assuming that the fact that I was white and living in the wealthy suburb of Devonport meant they thought I had loads of cash and felt superior to them because they didn’t have loads of cash and weren’t white. As the day wore on, and we all learned a little bit more about each other whilst working alongside each other, the stereotypes slipped away and we all ended up laughing a lot and the moving experience was actually pretty fun. They not only moved all my stuff quickly and efficiently (and why wouldn’t they?), they also plumbed in my washing machine for me. It ended up being a really positive experience for me, and once again, I can only speculate that maybe for them too. Things were not as we had all been programmed to expect. Needless to say, i was not injured in any way, nor were any of my belongings damaged or stolen!

I realise this is a simplified single example of racial stereotypes proven wrong - and it had a happy ending which is not always the case but, if it can happen like this, and on this micro level, then it does happen. This is evidence that people can change their ideas. I hope and think I have learnt the error of my ways, but on saying that, it is easy to forget the fair and just way to think and behave towards others of different races, genders etc...

I think continual exposure to models where there is equality, regardless of race, is the key to racial harmony.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home