Sunday, August 7, 2011

We are Siamese if you please...

Within the Westernised median Asian cultures have often been portrayed as simple, if not rather backwards cultures whose people were often vilified. With the people in these cultures viewed not as human beings but as caricatures of themselves, with cartoons, television shows and films helping to indoctrinate these stereotypes into Westernised societies. Now after looking at 'Indiana Jones' and 'Aladdin' in class, films that I had not seen since I was young I was a little shocked to say the least. It seems even from a young age children were force fed this orientalism, just look at the 1955 Disney film 'Lady & The Tramp'. While the film itself is still considered a children's classic in much the same way that 'Aladdin' is, it still projects eurocentrism values and beliefs along with blatantly racist imagery onto the audience.

I, like many other young adults around the world grew up on a steady Disney diet, everything from 'Bambi' to more recent films like 'The Lion King' and 'Toy Story'. But it isn't until I re-watched these films as an adult that I could really understand the often times startlingly blatant racism in them, Just take the Siamese cats in 'Lady & The Tramp' for example. Their arrival signals the first real signs of disruption for what would otherwise be a picturesque traditional white family, and they become the catalysts for the danger and drama that follows. Even their very images are caricatures of what people during the 1950's viewed Asians, with overly slanted eyes, buck teeth and overly exaggerated accents.


And these are not the only stereotypes present within the film; we of course cannot forget the Italian chef Tony.

As if often the case with Disney films, the racism and orientalism within the movie is brushed over with humour, but does this make it any less racist? I can only give my personal opinion, which I'm certain some will disagree with, but racism is still racism.... No matter how you package it.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 8, 2011 at 12:41 AM , Blogger joanna said...

i really enjoyed reading your blog because it is yet another reminder of how prevalent, deeply embedded and taken for granted racism and stereotypes are. the fact that a great many people (me included to some extent), as audiences, ignorantly go along with these stereotypes and dont question them is disturbing. the only thing that makes me feel a bit better is that i'm doing this paper which is reminding me to wake up and not to be a passive audience member any longer!

 
At August 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM , Blogger joanna said...

PS: i liked the pictures too :)

 
At August 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM , Blogger Grace C said...

Thanks for commenting :)

I couldn't agree more, when it comes to this type of racism and stereotyping people don't question it enough. I know I never did, and this paper is as you so succinctly put it, "reminding me to wake up and not to be a passive audience member".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home