Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hi-there-you-suspicious-looking-person

All along I considered myself to be non-racist, being a member of an ethnic minority myself.  Until recently I realised that I was undeniably bound to the mark of the plural.

On my way home in an empty bus, an African male sat next to me when there were plenty other vacant seats.  Shamefully, I’ll have to admit that I was disturbed – immediately I became sceptical of his intentions and held dearly onto my bag for life.  He said ‘Hi’ with a smile, but at that stage I had all these mental calculations going on in my mind: What does he want? What should I do?  I quickly replied a short ‘Hi’ and shoved earphones into my ears so I wouldn’t have to keep a conversation with him.  I was certain that my accusations were correct when he refused to let me pass when I tried to get off the bus.  But after viewing this commercial, I’m beginning to think differently…:


The commercial gives an insight into typical racist behaviour: this one in particular is about racist behaviour towards Blacks.  It instantly reminded me of my encounter with the African male on the bus, and my racist behaviour: clutching onto my bag, avoiding conversation with him, slowly shifting to the other side.  Perhaps the reason why he did not let me pass when I tried to get off was because he was aggravated at my behaviour.  Now I realise that perhaps he might have just sat next to me to ask for directions to a certain place, or for some other innocuous reason.  Like the commercial suggests, it was probably my racist behaviour that provoked him to not let me pass.  It’s surprising how unmindful we are of the mark of the plural that applies to our daily lives.  

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM , Blogger CleverDisplayName said...

I was about to say "wow, some of the comments on that vid are pretty interesting", but then I clicked on one of the accounts which lead me automatically to a vid titled 'Proof: Barack Obama is Gay'. So yeah, never mind. Damn bigots and their iPads.

 
At September 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Sue Abel said...

It's a powerful video. And your response bears out what I say about the absolutely unbidden 'racism' that lies deep in so many people.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home