Thursday, August 25, 2011

Assimilation in a White World

During last week’s lecture about “Whiteness” I was not so surprised when Sue pointed out how corporate African American men altered their behaviour in an attempt to appear less threatening. This example instantly made me think of a recent Boston Legal episode that resonated with me called “Guise and Dolls”, which drew attention to issues of white assimilation and racism that we have been discussing.

In this episode the protaganist, Denny Crane interviews a African American man, Kevin Givens for a job at a law firm that he is partner of. The following transcript is a conversation discussing the interview with the other partners. (Unfortunately I couldn’t find a clip on Youtube)

Paul Lewiston: Denny. Mr. Givens is under the impression that his interview with you didn’t go well.

Denny Crane: Oh, don’t be silly. Man’s a keeper. Smart. Good-looking. Articulate. I like him.

Paul Lewiston: To Kevin. There you go.

Kevin Givens: To Denny. May I ask...? When you say “articulate”... I would imagine almost everyone who comes out of law school is articulate.

Denny Crane: Yeah, but... uh...you know what I mean.

Kevin Givens: I don’t, actually.

Denny Crane: Well, I mean it like, ah... Joe Biden meant it. The way they mean it when they say Condi Rice is soooo articulate. That way.

Kevin Givens: But I still don’t know what you mean.

Denny Crane: You don’t sound black! Dead silence.

Initially, the comments of Denny Crane are seemingly appalling however his character highlights the ugly underlying truths. Firstly, the assimilation minorities feel they need to interact within a white corporate world (American or other). Secondly, the prevalence of institutional racism within that corporate structure, that forces a need for white assimilation.

Although the fictional law firm of “Boston Legal” draws attention to these facts, they are not immune to hypocrisy. They still inhabit the structure they criticize.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home